Manuscripts Collection
Louisiana Division
New Orleans Public Library

Circus Street Infirmary
Account Book, 1841-1842

Doctors George W. Campbell and J. Monroe Mackie opened the Circus Street Infirmary in New Orleans during the month of July, 1841 on what is now South Rampart Street between Poydras and Perdido. According to the New Orleans Directory for 1842

This institution ... is under the patronage of the Firemen and the Samaritan, Howard, and Philanthropic Associations of New-Orleans. Its locality is decidedly better than that of any other Hospital in the city. It is easily accessible, and within five minutes' walk of the St. Charles' Hotel. It is neatly furnished, and offers al the comforts and advantages of a private house to the invalid. No contagious diseases are admitted."

Terms of Admission.--From $2 to $5 per diem, including everything. Slaves $1 per diem. The establishment is always furnished with kind and skilful [sic] nurses.

This slim volume records the account of the Infirmary with Morgan & Co. (probably Thomas Morgan & Co., druggists, 17 Canal Street). It essentially is a record of the supplies, drugs and other materials purchased for the Infirmary from just before its opening through the first few months of its second year of operation.

The account book was probably separated at some time in the past from an original suit record in one of the city's civil courts, quite possibly the Commercial Court. Efforts to identify the suit have been unsuccessful.

Return to Manuscript Collections

Return to Archives/Special Collections

Back to Nutrias Home